Government regulations and driver expectations have together seen the efficiency of modern sedans reach peaks that just wouldn’t have been expected a few decades ago. Of course, there’s still considerable variation between nameplates, and even the smallest difference can make a big impact when a car is being driven every day. Small wonder the mile-per-gallon ratings of sedans have become increasingly important to well-informed buyers.
With that in mind, people trying to decide between the 2016 Kia Optima and the 2016 Honda Accord will naturally place mpg ratings toward the top of their priority list. So, which one is able to go further on less?
Combining Power and Efficiency
The 2016 Honda Accord boasts the following mpg ratings across its three power options:
- 2.4L 4-Cylinder: Generates 185 hp and 181 lb-ft of torque while achieving up to an EPA-estimated 23 mpg in the city and 34 on the highway with 6-speed manual transmission or EPA-estimated 27 mpg city and 37 mpg highway with CVT.*
- Sport: Generates up to 189 hp and 182 lb-ft of torque, with CVT coming as standard to achieve up to an EPA-estimated 26 mpg in the city and 35 mpg on the highway.*
- 3.5L V6: Generates up to 278 hp and 252 lb-ft of torque while achieving an EPA-estimated 21 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway with 6-speed automatic transmission.*
Here’s how the 2016 Kia Optima measures up:
- 2.4L 4-Cylinder: The 185 hp, 178 lb-ft of torque output is marginally worse than the Accord, and you’ll only make up to 24 mpg in the city and 35 on the highway.
- 1.6L 4-Cylinder: Makes up to 178 hp and 195 lb-ft of torque while returning a pitiful 22 mpg in the city and 32 on the highway.
- Turbocharged 2.0L 4-Cylinder: Only the 245 hp turbo matches the Accord, with ratings of 28 mpg in the city and 39 on the highway.
The 2016 Kia Optima never keeps pace with the Accord in terms of performance, and the only time you’ll enjoy stronger mpg ratings is when you spring for the vehicle’s most expensive engine option.
Experience the 2016 Honda Accord for Yourself
Drivers can find out how the Accord’s engine options translate into real-world performance and fuel economy by coming down to the showroom at your nearest Hampton Roads Honda Dealer.
One of our team members will be happy to talk you through the vehicle’s engine options and outstanding features list, then arrange a test drive to let you experience it firsthand.
*Based on 2016 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, and other factors.