Performance-oriented drivers around Hampton Roads, we have some exciting news for you: The 2017 Honda Civic lineup has received a manual transmission option to be paired with the new 1.5L turbocharged engine. Though it’s the standard transmission for the new Civic, the 6-speed manual was previously unavailable with the turbocharged powertrain, but all that changed once the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback hit the market. In addition to being available on both the Hatchback LX and Sport, you’ll find the 6-speed manual available on the Sedan and Coupe EX-T trims.
- 2017 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT: $19,700 (MSRP)*
- 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT: $21,300 (MSRP)*
- 2017 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT: $21,500 (MSRP)*
- 2017 Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT: $21,600 (MSRP)*
Why Drive a Stick Shift?
Before we dive into the specs of the vehicles, we think we should address a question on most automatic transmission drivers’ minds: Why should any 2017 model year vehicle have a manual transmission?
- Control: The best way to ensure you have the utmost control over a vehicle’s performance is to make the gear changes yourself, factoring in how you want the car to perform in current driving conditions. When you decide how the gears change, you have a car that behaves how you want, when you want.
- Affordability: Manual transmissions have been built for decades longer than automatic transmissions, streamlining their production to keep costs down. Factor in the reduced complexity when compared to an automatic, and the manual offers a more affordable baseline price and more affordable repairs—should they ever be needed.
- Fun: Driving a stick shift means you need to be in tune with the behavior of your car, resulting in a more engaged driving experience that simply makes being behind the wheel more fun, letting you and your car work together as one.
Turbocharged Engine Specs
Now that you know a few advantages of driving a manual transmission, here’s another: increased performance specs. Not only does the 2017 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T receive a boost in output, peak specs are achieved at a lower RPM with the manual transmission:
- Power: 174 hp (180 hp on Hatchback Sport models) at 5,500 rpm
- Torque: 167 lb-ft of torque (1,800 – 5,500 rpm), with 177 lb-ft (1,900 – 5,500 rpm) on Hatchback Sport models
Test Drive a Civic
Now that you’ve seen the specs and a few reasons to consider going with a stick shift on your next car, let us put you behind the wheel for a test drive. Visit a Hampton Roads Honda Dealer near you today to see the fusion of turbocharged power with manual transmission control.
*MSRP excluding tax, license, registration, $835.00 destination charge, and options. Dealers set their own prices.