The 2017 Honda Ridgeline Is a Safety-Forward Truck
The 2017 Honda Ridgeline has some of the most advanced active safety systems of any truck on the market. Standard on all models including the RT, RTS, Sport, RTL, RTL-T, RTL-E, and Black Edition are the following active safety features:
- Vehicle Stability Assist: This system helps to stabilize the vehicle by regulating engine output and applying the brakes to prevent over- or under-turning
- Anti-Lock Brake System: Brake pressure is released when sudden braking is detected and locking is possible.
- Electronic Brake Distribution: Force is varied between each wheel in order to maximize stopping power in adverse conditions.
- Brake Assist: This system detects emergency breaking and boosts the braking power as needed.
- Multi-Angle Rearview Camera: Gives you extra sets of eyes where you need them most. A dynamic system with added features is available with the RTL-T, RTL-E, and Black Edition.
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System: Gives notice when an over- or under-inflation is detected in the tires.
- Daytime Running Lights: Stay visible to other drivers during the day with these headlamps that activate when the car is engaged. LED daytime running lights are available in the RTL-T, RTL-E, and Black Edition models.
The following active safety systems are available only on the RTL-E and Black Editions with the premium Honda Sensing suite:
- Collision Mitigation Braking System: A radar sensor in the front grille detects when your Ridgeline gets too close to a vehicle in front of you and sounds an alert. If the alert is ignored and no action is taken, the CMBS brakes accordingly.
- Road Departure Mitigation System: If the Ridgeline drifts too close to detected lane markings at speeds between 45 and 90 mph, the RDMS alerts the driver and again, if no action is taken, steering force is automatically applied to correct course.
- Forward Collision Warning: A small camera mounted at the top of the front windshield detects imminent collisions with vehicles, then activates an alert system and further applies brake pressure if no actions are taken.
- Lane Departure Warning: Similar to the CMBS, the lane departure warning will notify you if you are leaving detected lanes.
In the unfortunate event of an accident, there are numerous passive safety features included standard on all models of the 2017 Honda Ridgeline:
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering: Exclusive to Honda, ACE body structure enhances occupant protection and crash compatibility.
- Dual-Stage Multiple Threshold Front Airbags: Airbags will deploy at different speeds depending on the severity of the crash or whether the seat belts are fastened, reducing head and chest injuries.
- SmartVent Front Side Airbags: These airbags deploy and inflate quickly in the event of a side impact collision.
- Side curtain airbags with roller sensor: Stored above the windows, these airbags help protect the heads of passengers seated next to them and also activate in the event of a rollover incident.
- 3-point seat belts: Secure 3-point seat belts are available in every seat. The front belts have an automatic tensioning system that keep the belts firm in case of emergency situations.
- Child-proof rear door locks: Child-proof rear door locks ensure children seated in the back are not able to exit the vehicle unsupervised.
- Lower anchors/tethers for children: The LATCH system allows for easy installation of car seats for younger passengers.
Advances in safety technology allow for systems that assist the driver in controlling the vehicle or detecting hazards. The RTL-T model features Honda LaneWatch, which serves gives a broader view of the passenger-side roadway on the center navigation screen when the driver signals a right turn. The LaneWatch system also gives you a better view of your normally unseen blind spot.
The following driver-assist technologies are available on the RTL-E and Black Editions:
- Lane Keeping Assist: Applies mild steering torque to prevent the driver from drifting outside of detect lane markings.
- Adaptive Cruise Control: Adjusts cruising speed when slower vehicles are detected in front of the vehicle.
- Auto High-Beam Headlights: Headlights automatically switch to high-beam when darkness is detected. The headlights switch to low beams when a vehicle is detected in the path of the lights.
- Blind Spot Info System: BSI alerts drivers to the presence of objects in the blind spot and vehicles approaching your vehicle from the sides when the driver shifts into reverse.