If the battery in your Honda vehicle has recently died or someone has attempted to break into your vehicle you may need to access your Honda unlock codes for your radio or navigation system. This locking mechanism is a great theft deterrent, as without these codes the functionality will be halted—stopping thieves in their tracks. Keep reading to learn more about these codes, how they work, and where to find them.
Find the VIN
At first, the thought of having to find unlock codes for your radio or navigation system may seem daunting, but finding these codes is actually quite a simple process. All you need to find the codes are the vehicle identification number (VIN), the device serial number, your phone number, and your zip code. Once you have all of this information, you’re ready to go. But first, let’s go over how to retrieve your VIN and device serial code.Finding your VIN is a simple process, as it is listed on almost every document associated with your vehicle and on the vehicle itself. A handful of places you can look to find the number include:
- Driver’s-side windshield at the bottom
- Insurance card
- Vehicle registration
- Billing or financial statements
Find the Serial Number
Finding the serial number for the device is a little more involved and differs from vehicle to vehicle, but the base principles stay the same for most vehicles. Consult your vehicle manual through Honda before attempting the following steps on your vehicle. After that’s done, just follow these simple steps:
- Set the ignition to “ON.”
- Turn on the device and ensure it reads “code.” If not, unplug the fuse, wait for a few minutes, and try again.
- Once the device is off, hold down the 1 and 6 buttons to power the device back on.
- The screen should now blink between two screens. One screen will contain the letter U and then four digits; the second will show the letter L followed by four digits. Remove the letters and these eight digits are the serial code.
Unlock and Go
Once you’ve got all of the crucial information, all that’s left to do is visit Honda’s unlock code retrieval site during their hours of operation and grab the code. If you run into any issues you can always visit your Hampton Roads Honda Dealer’s service center for a helping hand or contact us online to set up an appointment.